Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Low Carb, Keto
This meal is actually no news in our household. It’s something I whipped up already a few years back and we love it ever since, but I never took a proper picture. So I hope these pics will do the Spinach Quiche a proper justice. It’s the perfect easy meal to make ahead for the workweek lunches. Especially if you feel like giving meat a little break. You can just add some salad or other vegetables and you have a healthy nourishing meal. I like to have mine with pickled beetroot, but I can imagine things like cucumber salad or Kale & Brussel Sprouts Salad will go with it really well too.
As the tags suggest this quiche is gluten free and Paleo, which means the crust is slightly different than what you might expect from a quiche. I haven’t used classic flour or starch, but made the base with flaxseed (linseed) meal and coconut flour, which are both gut friendly options and I love using them in my cooking. Flaxseed is known for its health benefits, such as supporting the digestive system due its fibrous texture and being great for our heart because it’s full of Omega 3. And it will also make you full for longer, so you won’t end up snacking one hour after the lunch break. I think that’s pretty great, isn’t it?
- ⅔ cup linseed meal
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 50g butter/ghee/coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for cooking (I used garlic oil)
- 1 small bunch of English spinach or silverbeet (makes 4 cups when chopped)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 portobello mushrooms (makes 2 cups when chopped)
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Optional (but highly recommended if you eat dairy): 100g blue cheese
- For the crust:
- Mix all ingredients together with your hands or in a food processor. Let the pastry sit for 10 minutes, so the flour can soak the liquid.
- Press the pastry in the baking dish with your hands, evenly on the bottom and the sides.
- Place the baking dish in a preheated oven on 160°C for 10 minutes.
- For the filling:
- Chop up the spinach and mushrooms.
- Place a deep pan over high heat and pour a teaspoon of oil in. Let the oil heat and then add the diced onion and sautee it until it has golden colour. Then add the chopped spinach and saute for 5 minutes.
- Place the pan aside and add the coconut cream, salt, pepper and spices and mix everything together.
- Beat the eggs slightly with a fork. Then pour the eggs in the slightly cooled spinach mixture and stir everything together. If you are using the cheese, crumble it in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture on top of the crust and place it in preheated oven on 160 °C. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Let the quiche cool slightly before serving.