Popcorn Chicken (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb)
Here’s another recipe for you guys which can be handy during the festive season – Popcorn Chicken (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb). I know it’s not exactly a typical Christmas recipe, but I honestly think it’s really great for any time during the holidays. For the time when you need something small for your guests to nibble on, as an appetiser before dinner or dinner itself, if you combine it with a salad or other veggies, as a snack for New Year’s Eve or for the time you finally get cozy on the couch and watch all the Christmas movies.
You can serve it for example with the Homemade Smoked Garlic Mayo, or if you’d like to save some time, use the Gevity Rx Turmeric Mayo like I did, because it tastes absolutely divine. And on top of that the sauce is actually egg free and really allergy friendly and made with the best anti-inflammatory ingredients such as bone broth, organic psyllium husk, organic apple cider vinegar and more.
- 500g chicken thighs (or chicken breasts, if you prefer)
- 3 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ⅓ tsp dried thyme
- Tiny pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- ⅔ cup almond meal
- ⅔ cup nutritional yeast
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and place it in a glass container. Then add the coconut yoghurt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme, tiny bit of nutmeg and pinch of salt and pepper. Mix everything properly, so all the chicken pieces are evenly covered in the marinade, then put a lid on the container and place it in a fridge and let the chicken marinate for at least 2 hours, but preferably over night.
- Mix the almond meal and nutritional yeast together in a bowl, then cover the chicken pieces in the mix, shaking the excess crumb off.
- You can either cook the chicken in an oven or an air-fryer (or normal fryer probably too).
- For the oven - spread the chicken onto a lined baking tray and put it into a preheated oven at 180 °C and bake for 30 minutes. You can cut one piece in half to check they are baked through and not pink in the middle.
- For the air-fryer - spread the chicken pieces into a fryer basket, so they don’t touch each other too much and fry it on 160 °C for 35-40 minutes. You can cut one piece in half to check they are baked through and not pink in the middle.
- Serve for example with the Homemade Smoked Garlic Mayo or Gevity Rx Mayo. Or on top of a salad for a light lunch or dinner.