Mexican Stuffed Peppers (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb)
Ok, I know that stuffed pepper (or capsicum if you’re an Aussie) doesn’t exactly come to people’s mind when I say a Mexican recipe. But we are talking Mexican spice here. Little fusion. Because everything is better with Mexican spice. Even something so simple as a stuffed pepper 🙂 So it’s a little cross of cuisines and I’m not mad about it, because it’s really yummy and as usual really easy and quick to make. With the extra veggies in the mixture you have a delicious AND nutritious weeknight dinner staple. Then add some Guacamole, sour cream and Cauliflower rice on the side and a nice healthy fiesta can begin.
We honestly put Mexican spices to so many dishes, but I never really shared them, because I thought it might not be appropriate as those aren’t actual Mexican meals. But then hey, burrito bowl isn’t really a proper Mexican dish either. And my blog has mostly alternations of recipes, using healthier ingredients, so this is not really different. So that said I will try and post more of these everyday recipes, so you have some weekday dinner inspiration.
- 500g pork mince
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely grated (ca 1 cup)
- ½ zucchini, finely grated (ca 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp linseed meal
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large red peppers (capsicums) or several small ones
- Cut the top of the peppers off and if they are large cut them in halves, then remove the cores.
- Chop the cut of tops into small cubes.
- Place the pork mince into a large bowl and add the cubed pepper tops, diced onion, grated carrot and zucchini, eggs, crushed garlic and all the spices. Mix everything thoroughly (the easiest way is by using your hands).
- Fill the peppers with the mixture and place them on a lined baking tray.
- Place the tray into preheated oven on 180 C and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve for example with cauliflower rice, guacamole and sour cream.