Lemon Honey Chicken
Are you looking for an easy meal to whip up during the weekdays? I got the perfect recipe for you. This Lemon Honey Chicken is ready in no time and will please even the fussiest eaters. Not to mention that it’s much better for your health than the usual take-away because it’s not deep fried (in a cheap vegetable oil) and contains only few ingredients, so no msg, added sugar or starches. Just juicy chicken covered in sticky sweet and tangy sauce. Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?
I served ours with jasmine rice and greens, but for example Cauliflower Rice and Asian Style Coleslaw would be an amazing option too. This recipe makes about 6 portions, so it’s also really handy for your weekly meal prep.
- 800g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional - pinch of chilli powder or flakes
- Combine 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp honey, all the grated lemon zest, 1 tbsp soy sauce, crushed roasted garlic (it's much milder in flavour, but you can use for example homemade fermented garlic paste or smaller amount of fresh garlic), salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken pieces into a large bowl and then toss the chicken through the lemon mixture until it's evenly coated. You can also do this in a ziplock bag.
- Place the chicken into the fridge and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place a large pan over high heat, pour in the oil and let it warm up. Then add the chicken and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until completely cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and place it on a plate, but leave all the juices in the pan.
- Lower the heat and pour in the rest of lemon juice and honey and stir all the liquids together.
- Cook the sauce for 2-3 minutes until it starts bubbling and gets thicker.
- Then add the chicken back and toss it through the sauce until it's coated equally, then serve it immediately. For example with rice or Cauliflower Rice.