Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
Primal, Low Carb
The strawberry season in Queensland is coming to an end, so I have one quick recipe using this beautiful fruit, before it’s too hot for it. This strawberry shortcake is your easy one bowl dessert / snack to whip up in few minutes and enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea during the week.
It uses cashew meal and coconut flour, so it’s naturally gluten free and low in carbohydrates. I used vanilla stevia drops as a sweetener and to add flavour, but if that’s not your thing you can use vanilla bean or vanilla paste and sweetener of your choice, depending on your eating style. I think that coconut syrup would be amazing in this recipe for example. And if you’re from a part of the world that is getting cold now and not hot like Australia, you can totally use frozen strawberries instead of fresh. Just let them defrost first and drain the excess water.
- 1 cup cashew meal
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ⅓ tap lemon zest
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- 4 eggs
- Vanilla stevia drops
- 1 punnet of strawberries (ca 200g)
- Mix the cashew meal, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Break the eggs into a blender and add the yoghurt and sweetener of choice. Blend until frothy.
- Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk everything together.
- Pour the mixture into a small greased baking dish. Cut the strawberries in half and and place them on top of the cake mixture.
- Place the baking dish into preheated oven at 175 C for 40 minutes (depending on your oven).