Coconut Drops (Paleo, Low Carb, Keto)
Another Christmas classic and probably the easiest Christmas treat you’ll ever make. Yet so good. That’s Coconut Drops (Paleo, Low Carb, Keto).
Coconut Drops are a staple in most Czech homes during the Christmas holidays. Because they are easy to make and anyone who likes coconut would just love them. But the usual recipe contains about half ton of sugar. Which is completely unnecessary. Coconut is naturally sweet, so this treat actually doesn’t need any sweetener at all, or if you can’t go all cold turkey, it can be switched for healthier options than refined white sugar like coconut sugar, stevia or erythritol. And then to make it even better, you can dip the drops in a melted chocolate. Yes, they will totally look like little poops. But sometimes it’s all about the taste, isn’t it?
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- Vanilla extract
- Sweetener of choice (depending on your eating style - for example coconut sugar, stevia, erythritol etc., but the healthiest option is to leave the sweetener out, the recipe works really good without it)
- Place the egg whites in a tall jar/beaker which would fit the mixer with a whisk (the one which comes with the hand mixer is just perfect for that) or use a stand mixer if you have one.
- Whip the whites on medium speed until foamy and just beginning to turn white.
- If you are using sweetener, now it's time to add it to the egg whites slowly while continuing to whip them.
- When all the sweetener has been added, turn the mixer up to high speed and whip until the egg whites are glossy and very stiff.
- In a large bowl mix the shredded coconut, coconut cream and vanilla extract. Add the beaten egg whites and mix everything together carefully.
- With a spoon or even with your hands form small balls out of the mixture and place them on a lined baking tray. You can make little spikes on each one with your fingers.
- Place the baking tray into preheated oven on 160°C (about 320°F) and bake the Coconut Drops for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges, depending on your oven.
- Let them cool completely and either serve as they are or dip them in a dark chocolate.
- Store in the fridge up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month.