If you follow me on Instagram as well, you’ve probably noticed that this isn’t exactly a new recipe. I shared it in the form of a reel a few weeks ago. However, it’s one of my favourite quick weeknight dinners to make, so I think it deserves its proper space here as well. It’s basically my version of cowboy beans but made with chickpeas because they are usually tolerated much better than beans by most people.
The Chickpea Bake is the perfect healthy meal when you’re short on time because while very satiating and nourishing, it’s extremely easy to make. You essentially dump everything into the baking dish and wait for it to do its magic. But unlike mac and cheese you know that you’re getting enough protein from the chickpeas and other nutrients from the added veggies and spices. And you can serve it in many ways. I just love meals like that. I don’t mind the bake just by itself, but if you feel like there’s a need for side dish, you can have it on top of toast, with some rice (either normal rice or cauliflower, with pasta, with more veggies, fried egg on top… the choices are endless.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrot (you can peel them first, I couldn't be bothered)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp fermented garlic paste
- 1 small can tomato paste (140g)
- ⅓ cup sugar-free BBQ sauce
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chilli
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 3 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Oil for cooking
- Heat ca 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep pan, then add the onion and wilt it slightly.
- Add the carrots and fry together for a few minutes. Then add the chickpeas, celery and zucchini and fry for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the water, garlic paste, tomato paste, BBQ sauce and salt and spices. Stir everything together thoroughly.
- Then stir in the cherry tomatoes and transfer the mix into a greased baking dish. Place the baking dish into a preheated oven at 200 C for 30-40 minutes (it depends on the oven, ours is old and slow).
- Enjoy ?