Butternut Squash Cream Soup With Turmeric (Paleo, Whole30)
This Butternut Squash Cream Soup With Turmeric (Paleo, Whole30) is a perfect dish for winter weather.
At least for the terrible weather afflicting our little country now.
Because the fairy snowy winter was just replaced by clouds, rain, wind and all the possible shades of brown and grey. So right now just the colour of the soup itself will make my day brighter. Not even to mention the health benefits of turmeric (find out more about it for example on The Paleo Mama or the insuperable Mark’s Daily Apple) and of course the vitamins contained in the vegetables.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 5 small carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ small celeriac, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Oil for cooking
- 2l chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- Place a larger pot over a high heat. Pour about two tablespoons of oil into the pot and let it heat.
- Add the diced onion and fry until golden, stir occasionally, then add the rest of vegetables and all the seasonings and stir it (properly this time) for couple more minutes. Browning the vegetables and the seasoning will give the soup more taste, just make sure that it's not burning and stir properly. If needed, take the pot out of the high heat.
- Pour the chicken stock in and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Take the pot out of the heat and blend the soup with a hand blender to a smooth consistency. Taste the soup and add more salt or seasonings if appropriate.
- Serve for example with a drizzle of garlic oil, fresh cilantro and chilli.