Beetroot Brownies (Paleo, Low Carb, Vegan)
I know, beetroot brownies are nothing new. But have you actually ever try them? I found out that many of the recipes are just containing so many ingredients. And you could probably noticed that I like things as simple as possible. Minimum ingredients and minimal effort. That’s me. So I ditched few of the traditional ingredients and tried to create an easy, healthy and tasty version of the beetroot brownies myself. And after few attempts came up with these Beetroot Brownies which I’m finally very happy with. Because despite the fact that there is not any gluten, dairy or sugar included, they taste damn delicious. And don’t worry, no beetroot aftertaste. Just beautiful gooey chocolate goodness.
I love baking with vegetables lately. It gives the baked goodies so much moistness. And you don’t skip your veggie intake even when indulging on a dessert. How good is that? Not mentioning that vegetables like beetroot or pumpkin are naturally sweet, so you don’t need to use as much sweetener either. I am actually trying to avoid sweeteners (including Stevia and Erythritol) as much as possible. Luckily these Beetroot Brownies don’t need much.
- 500g beetroot (2 medium beets)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 100g dark chocolate (I used 90%)
- 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp sweetener (I used erythritol)
- ½ tsp cream of tartare
- Wrap the beetroot in aluminum foil and place it in preheated oven on 180 °C for 1 hour.
- Once the beets are baked, let them cool a bit before unwrapping and peeling.
- Peel the beets and cut them in smaller chunks. Place it in food processor and blend until it has a puree texture.
- Prepare a double boiler to melt the chocolate - place a small bowl over a pot with hot water and place it over low heat. Break the chocolate in the bowl and add 4 tablespoons of coconut oil. Melt together, using a small whisk.
- Place the beetroot puree in a bowl. Add the melted chocolate and coconut cream and whisk together.
- Add all the dried ingredients and stir everything with a whisk properly.
- Pour the brownie mix in a greased baking dish.
- Place the baking dish in a preheated oven on 180 °C and bake for 40 minutes.
- Take the brownies out of the oven and let them cool completely before serving. They are delicious by itself or with some peanut butter, whipped cream etc.