Asian Style Coleslaw (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb)
It’s still such warm weather here in Australia which for me means lots of BBQ and lighter meals. That’s why I made the Sticky Ginger Chicken Wings yesterday (we were so hungry that I just wasn’t able to make pictures, but I will be definitely making the wings soon again) and this Asian Style Coleslaw (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb) on a side. At least the salad is served cold so I could snap a couple pics before dinner.
Do you crave different meals in different seasons? My body certainly asks for divergent foods, following the weather changes. I could almost say that I hate salads in the cold winter weather. But once the first warm rays of the sun kisses my face, raw veggie seems to change it’s taste. It’s crispy and fresh, very satisfying if paired with a few more ingredients. And even though I will never be the biggest friend of vegetable-only salad, once you add a bit of protein to it, you have me.
And this Asian Style Coleslaw (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb) (best mate of a nice BBQ) has it all. It’s refreshing with crisp and a fine tangy kick, while not leaving you hungry half an hour later.
- ½ red cabbage, shredded
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp coconut sugar (leave this item if on Whole30)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Mix all the ingredients except the cilantro in a bowl and leave it in a fridge for few hours or even over night.
- The coconut sugar can be replaced by 3 tsp of brown sugar. If you follow the Whole30, leave any kind of sugar out of the recipe. It won't be the end of the world.
- Mix in the chopped cilantro about half an hour before serving. If you love it as much as I do you can put even more than 2 handfuls.
- Enjoy the salad as it is or even better with a protein of your choice (Sticky Ginger Chicken Wings work out just perfect).
Not really a salad person (trust me, not so much judgment here) – try some of my other Side dishes.